First/Second levels (Primary)
Mental and emotional Wellbeing
- Take time every day to talk and listen to your child without distractions. Share what you have been doing in the day. Talk about the things that went well and the challenges and how you dealt with them. Encourage your child to do the same.
- Encourage your child to talk about their feelings. Talk about characters in a book or film. What feelings might these characters have in different situations? How do they behave and react to different things in the story? Talk about what other choices these characters could have made. Ask your child what they think about the behaviours and choices made. Ask your child what they would have done in the same situation.
- Give your child praise and encouragement for their efforts and successes.
- When things don’t go well, support and help them find solutions to problems themselves.
- Help your child to learn that people have different qualities and outlooks on life. In books, magazines, television or films talk about characters who aren’t popular with others or are left out of things. Ask your child how they think that makes the character feel. What would they do to help someone in those circumstances?