In this part of the health and wellbeing curriculum area, your child will develop their understanding of the use and misuse of a variety of substances including: over the counter and prescribed medicines, alcohol, drugs, tobacco and solvents.
They will explore and develop their understanding of the effect of risk-taking behaviour on their life.
Second level (approximately P5 to P7)
- Listen to your child’s questions about alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. Be honest and find the answers together.
- Use issues from the news, magazines, TV programmes or films to talk with your child about drugs.
- Ensure that you only ever take prescribed medications that are for you and encourage your child to do the same.
- Be honest with your child about how it would make you feel if he/she were to be put at risk by taking drugs.
- Encourage your child to take part in different hobbies and to have a range of different interests.
- If you drink alcohol, model the importance of drinking in moderation.